Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another Little Boy Waiting and Waiting


There is another little boy, Patrick, who is in the same foster care program as our Jacob and Levi but unlike our boys, he is still waiting for a family. The director of LWB did a write up on a number of children when she visited our boys' foster care program in June of last year. The first paragraphs were about Levi, Patrick, and Jacob. I read this write up last July and was excited to read about our Jacob. The paragraph about Levi touched my heart but I did not have a clue that he might one day be ours as well. Well, sandwiched in between these two paragraphs is Patrick. Now Aaron is incredibly thankful that there is no way on earth I can bring three boys home together because no one will allow it, not China, not my agency, and not my husband. Just because I can not bring Patrick home, that doesn't mean I can't help him find a family. We would like to do a fundraiser soon to raise money so that Patrick can have an adoption grant which will make it more likely for him to be chosen by a family. He deserves a family just as much as Jacob and Levi do.

So here is the write up about all three boys and this was the first time we learned about Levi.




Our next stop on our trip was to visit all of our foster care children in Kaifeng...

I have known many of these kids for the last five years, and it was very sad for me to visit the home of Nicholas (Levi) this time. He is twelve years old, and has CP in his legs that makes it difficult for him to walk. He is so smart! He has not been chosen by a family yet, but many of his best friends have. He used to be so outgoing and happy, but I was told that he has become so very sad over no one choosing him to be their son. He said to us, “ I am smart, I can draw and sing, I would be so kind to a mama and baba….why does no one want me?” That just about did me in. He sang for us once again (he has a beautiful voice) but with much more sadness and longing in his eyes. Life is so unfair.

We got to go visit Patrick in his school program. I am SO proud of him! He also has mild CP. When I first met him, his speech was delayed and his CP was more obvious. We helped him get intensive PT, and now he is in public school! He helps the teachers in a big way, pulling out chairs, helping with the younger kids, etc. The teachers just love him. I sure wish he could find a family. He is on the shared list. I know the CP diagnosis is so scary to many people, but he is such a kind little boy.

William (Jacob) had also been on an agency list for a long time unchosen, most likely due to his lower limb difference…..and so his file was sent back to the CCAA. He is SO beautiful, and we are all hoping he will get another chance at finding a family. He has a really nice foster grandmother. She had made him little velvet slippers so he can walk on his feet. He loves to go fishing, and the two of them walk down to the stream each day. I am so sad he didn’t find a family. I don’t understand (as the mom of five sons!) why more people aren’t open to boys.


So that was what was written about our two boys and sweet Patrick. Love Without Boundaries also did a blog post on him and I will copy what they wrote below. I know Patrick's family is out there somewhere and they just need to find him like we found our Isaiah, Susu, Jacob, and Levi.


Nine-year-old Patrick is part of our Kaifeng Foster Care Program in Henan and is waiting for a family through China’s Waiting Child program. Currently he attends school, and his teacher says he is eager to learn and improves quickly.

He was visited last week by some of our volunteers. They remarked on how happy and thrilled he was when they gave him paper and markers to draw. He enthusiastically began showing them what he could write. Everyone found him to be sociable and good-natured. In addition, Patrick seems to have a good sense of people, quickly assessing your level of friendliness and then giving you a sign he is friendly too.

Patrick has cerebral palsy, which mainly affects his left hand. He uses his right hand very well. Also he walks and runs comfortably.

In his foster family, Patrick has a younger foster sister with whom he enjoys playing and watching cartoons. His foster family says Patrick is a good kid and will help around the house doing things, such as cutting vegetables and setting the table.

And if you could not tell from the photos here – Patrick loves to strike a pose!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Amy, reading about Levi just about did me in. Have you heard anything about his reaction of being "chosen"?? He sounds so sweet!
    Hurry up, paperwork!!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Levi has a family! I had read the paragraph about him previously, and was wondering just recently if he had gotten the family he was longing for. Smiling here! (Oh, in case you're wondering, I found your blog through your post on AOK-China-2.)

    ReplyDelete